THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tag Team'n it.

On Saturday morning, after a late night of drinking my ass off hanging out with friends on Friday night, my phone rang at 6:30. I don't know about you, but my house phone RARELY rings at all, let alone at 6:30 in the morning. From ring one, I knew it probably wasn't good.

It was my mom. She called to tell us that her brother, my uncle (duh), had been in a bad 4-wheeler accident and had been air-lifted to Rockford and was now in the Intensive Care Unit there. What she was asking is for us to come to the farm and help for the day so she could go be with him. This is where my family ROCKS!!!

We still had the babysitter at our house on Saturday morning, so we had to take her home before we could do anything else. Since she lives about 1/2 mile from my parents, we got dressed and took off.

Jenn was working, so it was Mom's Saturday to have Taylor and Trevor. Mom had a couple errands she wanted run before she headed to be with her brother, so Aaron and I took our girls and Taylor (Trevor was sleeping. We thought she could handle him) and headed for Wal-Mart in PoDunk. Mom got herself ready so when we got back, she could go. Aaron agreed to help with night chores so my dad was able to drop everything and go with her. I stayed with the kids until Jenn got home from work. The rest of the day we played Tag Team.

When Mom got to her brother they told her he had fractured his Adam's Apple when he hit his neck on the rack of the 4-wheeler. Because of the neck injury his Epiglottis had swollen open (which is better than shut in my book!) and they had to intubate him for precautionary reasons. Unfortunately, the ET tube was highly irritating the injury, so they took out the ET tube and gave him a tracheotomy instead. A more invasive procedure, but had to be done for any healing to happen. He couldn't talk because of the trach so he wrote my mom a note that said "I'm sorry. Please go home and take care of your family." She replied with, "You mean my adult children that take care of ME?! They are taking care of each other today. Like you would do if this was me."

She said he was very emotional. If any of you know Evan* you know that he is the most selfLESS person I know. He would have been the first one there if that had been any of us. Anyway...the doctors say 4-6 weeks and he will make a FULL recovery. The only side effect we may notice is a loss of voice. They don't know if he injured any vocal cords yet or not because there is too much swelling.

Until then, we'll all be Tag Teaming it until everybody is home and safe and healthy. That's what families do. Well....MY family does.

*name changed for his protection.

0 comments: